- Kartemquin's Success Is Hard Earned
- 'Maps To The Stars' A Disappointing Drive On An Oft-Traveled Road
- 11 Great Movies We Watched This Year: Rob Christopher's Picks
- Chicagoist Presents A New Story By Barry Gifford: 'The King Of Vajra Dornei'
- Royale, The Sound Of Progressive Sci-Fi Yacht Metal
- 'Twin Peaks' + Tiki = Tremendous
- Luxury Movie Theater Coming To Block 37 After All
- Alice Boman Brings Sweet Tidings To The Empty Bottle
- Reeling LGBT International Film Festival Returns For Its 32nd Edition
- Simply Put, 'Boyhood' Is Extraordinary
- Pencil This In: Three Dots And A Dash's First Anniversary Bash
- It's Official: Chicago Has The Best New American Cocktail Bar And The World's Best Cocktail Menu
- Music Box's Son Of 70mm Film Festival Is A BFD
- Obsolescence Forever! Celebrating A Low-Budget Musical And 28mm Filmmaking
- Two Local Filmmakers Get Encores
tag cloud3 things 007 420 Amicus Productions animation Barry Gifford books Buñuel Chicago Chicagoist Christmas Christopher Nolan CIFF cocktails Cronenberg David Lynch Disney documentaries dreams editing film festivals filmmaking film noir gay George Clooney haiku Halloween Hitchcock humphrey bogart James Bond James Mason Jane Fonda jazz jimmy stewart joan crawford Joe Dante John Huston Kickstarter Kurosawa libraries lists Marlon Brando Michael Haneke movies music musicals new york October Otto Preminger Paris paul thomas anderson pause of the clock poetry queue tips recipes Reeling Film Festival richard linklater Robert Altman Robert Ryan rum sci fi Scorsese silent film Soderbergh star trek stories stories from the grid Throwback Thursday tiki trash w.c. fields war Werner Herzog Westerns Woody Allen
- Won't really start paying attention to the election until Hal Phillip Walker joins the race. 3 hours ago
- "@imbibe: The @beardfoundation Outstanding Bar Program award goes to...@VioletHourChi!! #jbfa" So well deserved! 15 hours ago
- RT @ryanestabrooks: When will people learn - just because a character says/does something in a movie, this doesn't mean this is a reflectio… 15 hours ago
- Grillin. Thai chicken. http://t.co/fFMsMkIGwc 17 hours ago
- RT @newbeverly: We disagree. RT @wellshwood: 35mm these days is bad — a once-vital but now finished format that’s a LOT more trouble than i… 20 hours ago
- It don't worry me. It don't worry me. You may say that I ain't free, but it don't worry me. 22 hours ago
- 3 things about Michael Crichton's LOOKER wp.me/pymbF-1tS 1 day ago
- The last movie I ever saw at the Biograph Theatre was NAQOYQATSI. 1 day ago
- 3 things about Stanley Donen’s SATURN 3 wp.me/pymbF-1tQ 2 days ago
- My @TheBandRoyale vinyl arrived today! So deep, crunchy on analog. Boy howdy. 2 days ago
Tag Archives: sci fi
Looker  1. The doorbell rings. She takes off her robe and goes to answer the door in her underwear, naturally. 2. Insufficient body twist. 3. Spurt Toothpaste.
Saturn 3  1. Gravity in four directions. 2. “You have a great body. May I use it?” 3. The spectacle of a naked Kirk Douglas strangling Harvey Keitel is one I will not soon forget.
eXistenZ  1. Balmsticks for bioports. 2. “You have to play the game to find out why you’re playing the game.” 3. Cheek-shredding teeth bullets.
The Day the Earth Caught Fire  1. The Thames is a tiny creek in the middle of the riverbed. 2. “Have you suffered from marriage, divorce, any other viruses?” 3. Splashing around in water is the ultimate decadence.
Super 8  1. He makes a mental calculation and says, “I could get back into disco.” 2. A hole in his space shuttle poster. 3. Exploding water tower.
Dune  1. The ducal pug. 2. “Remember, walk without rhythm and you won’t attract the worm.” 3. Snack time. He rips off a chunk of flesh from a dead cow (horse?) suspended upside down from the ceiling. 3 other … Continue reading
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes  1. Ligeti hunt. 2. The power comes on and he almost begins to dance, but doesn’t. 3. An “X” on the front of the house.