- It's Official: Chicago Has The Best New American Cocktail Bar And The World's Best Cocktail Menu
- Music Box's Son Of 70mm Film Festival Is A BFD
- Obsolescence Forever! Celebrating A Low-Budget Musical And 28mm Filmmaking
- Two Local Filmmakers Get Encores
- 70mm Film Festival Returning To The Music Box
- Murakami Brings His Delightfully Weird 'Jellyfish Eyes' To The MCA
- Pencil This In: Everything is Terrible! At The Siskel
- Two Nelson Algren Documentaries Race To The Finish Line
- Three Dots And A Dash Hosts 'Potions Of The Caribbean'
- Dan Savage HUMPS The Music Box (NSFW)
- Duke Ellington's Only Opera Coming To Chicago
- 10 Great Movies We Watched This Year: Rob Christopher's Picks
- Chicagoist Presents A New Story By Barry Gifford: 'Christmas Is Not For Everyone'
- A Crime Novelist, A Master Chef, A Burlesque Dancer And A Music Critic Walk Into A Bar ...
- Reeling Reborn: 31st Edition Of The LGBT Film Festival Begins Thursday
tag cloud3 things 007 420 Amicus Productions animation Barry Gifford bill murray books Buñuel Chicago Chicagoist Christmas Christopher Nolan CIFF cocktails Cronenberg David Lynch Disney documentaries dreams editing film festivals film noir food gay George Clooney haiku Halloween Hitchcock James Bond James Mason Jane Fonda jazz jim henson jimmy stewart Joe Dante John Huston Kurosawa libraries lists Marlon Brando Michael Haneke movies muppets music musicals new york October Otto Preminger Paris paul thomas anderson pause of the clock Planet of the Apes poetry queue tips Reeling Film Festival richard linklater Robert Altman Robert Ryan rum sci fi Scorsese silent film Soderbergh star trek stories stories from the grid superheroes tiki trash w.c. fields war Westerns Wim Wenders Woody Allen
- 3 things about Hubert Sauper's DARWIN'S NIGHTMARE wp.me/pymbF-1i1 58 minutes ago
- RT @NekoCase: I ❤️ Germans. Dude at lunch buffet in a speedo. This day just keeps getting better! 2 hours ago
- More PAUSE OF THE CLOCK clips are coming soon, promise! For now, check it out: vimeo.com/87038375#t=0s 20 hours ago
- RT @nathanrabin: Another takeaway from TRUE STORIES: It's among the most Wes Andersony movies Wes Anderson did not direct. 20 hours ago
- RT @unnmbl: Pretty sure I'd be better at math if I'd started this way. mlkshk.com/p/ZYUG 21 hours ago
- A very Happy 1st Birthday to @ThreeDotsCHI, purveyor of the finest rum libations in Chicago. Long may you swizzle. 1 day ago
- Oh SNAP! RT @marcusgilmer I'm over you, Bay Area. Chicago had its mean bus people but at least they had a MIDWESTERN WORK ETHIC. 2 days ago
- Sad. So sad. "Only one class at her school, advanced cinematography, still trains students to use film." on.wsj.com/1rZXPus 2 days ago
- The film & where it’s at. wp.me/pymbF-1hZ 2 days ago
- 3 things about Hal Ashby’s HAROLD AND MAUDE wp.me/pymbF-1hX 3 days ago
Tag Archives: silent film
The Crowd  1. Upon entering the room he is immediately accosted by a flapper. 2. Several decades before Psycho, an onscreen toilet. 3. Everyone and everything is making too much noise.
The Artist  1. Over time, his mustache morphs from pencil-thin to brushlike. 2. “BANG!” 3. Malcolm McDowell’s ruddy nose (even in black & white).
Faces of Children  1. The child watches the gravedigger refill his mother’s grave, then passes out. His father carries him home. The gravedigger continues in his work without a pause. 2. Pierrette is like a paleo-Tootie, like Margaret O’Brien … Continue reading
Seven Chances  1. Dressed for the wedding, he takes two train tickets out of his pocket: one for Niagra Falls, one for Reno. 2. He emerges from the water with a turtle hanging from his necktie. 3. The dog … Continue reading
Nosferatu  1. He looks at the photograph. “Is this your wife? What a lovely throat!” 2. They overturn the coffin. It’s filled with earth and rats. One of them bites the sailor. 3. In his final scene, Nosferatu can … Continue reading
The Ten Commandments  1. “They are not laws–they are the LAW.” 2. Not in the remake: Ramses’ son is a bratty boy pharoah with a little whip. 3. He shoots Sally Lung. As she falls to the floor she … Continue reading
The Docks of New York  1. Her reflection in the water. She jumps. Then, ripples appear. 2. “You may be big game aboard ship, but you’re only an animal-cracker here.” 3. It’s the morning after his wedding night. He … Continue reading
The Last Laugh  1. He comes in to get out of the rain for a moment, sits down. His leg is acting up again. The bellboy gives him a quick drink. Meanwhile, the manager shakes his head disapprovingly and … Continue reading
Underworld  1. He extinguishes his cigarette in the champagne bucket. 2. Cow light fixture surrounded by empty bottles of booze. 3. An exodus from the tenement–bathrobes, dressing gowns, pajamas, long underwear.