- Pencil This In: Everything is Terrible! At The Siskel
- Two Nelson Algren Documentaries Race To The Finish Line
- Three Dots And A Dash Hosts 'Potions Of The Caribbean'
- Dan Savage HUMPS The Music Box (NSFW)
- Duke Ellington's Only Opera Coming To Chicago
- 10 Great Movies We Watched This Year: Rob Christopher's Picks
- Chicagoist Presents A New Story By Barry Gifford: 'Christmas Is Not For Everyone'
- A Crime Novelist, A Master Chef, A Burlesque Dancer And A Music Critic Walk Into A Bar ...
- Reeling Reborn: 31st Edition Of The LGBT Film Festival Begins Thursday
- Perverted Movie Lovers Rejoice!
- 'Computer Chess' Is A Movie For The Nerd In All Of Us
- Serious 'Mother Of George' Suffers From Too Much Beautiful Filming
- Interview: Leonard Maltin Discusses 45 Years Of His Movie Guide
- The Onion City Film Festival Returns With A Pungent 25th Edition
- Paul McGee's Three Dots And A Dash Is A Genuine Tiki Paradise
tag cloud3 things 007 420 Amicus Productions animation Barry Gifford books Buñuel Chicago Chicagoist Chicago Public LIbrary Christmas Christopher Nolan CIFF cocktails Cronenberg David Lynch Disney documentaries dreams editing film festivals film noir food gay George Clooney haiku Halloween Hitchcock humphrey bogart James Bond Jane Fonda jazz jim henson jimmy stewart Joe Dante John Huston Kurosawa libraries lists Marlon Brando Michael Haneke movies muppets music musicals new york October Otto Preminger Paris paul thomas anderson pause of the clock Planet of the Apes poetry queue tips Reeling Film Festival richard linklater Robert Altman Robert Ryan rum sci fi Scorsese silent film Soderbergh star trek stories stories from the grid tiki trash w.c. fields walt disney war Westerns Wim Wenders Woody Allen
- #whatimdrinking Jungle Bird. At home. With Art of Pizza. 12 hours ago
- Just threw out a boatload of old condiments. Amazing how many you stockpile over the years. G'bye Worcestershire Sauce. 17 hours ago
- RT @EriktheMovieman: I learned TRANSCENDENCE's one idea when I was 8 years old with these words: "I've grown 2415 times smarter since then." 19 hours ago
- Bought plenty of records last Saturday at @CHIRPRadio Record Fair so I'm passing on #RecordStoreDay2014. 19 hours ago
- One last growler (@ DryHop Brewers - @dryhopchicago w/ 4 others) foursquare.com/randomcha/chec… 19 hours ago
- 3 things about Jan Schmidt's LATE AUGUST AT THE HOTEL OZONE wp.me/pymbF-1fg 21 hours ago
- Going to try to sell @andystardust on a UNDER THE SKIN/ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE double feature this weekend. 1 day ago
- There is no absolute knowledge. And those who claim it, whether they are scientists or dogmatists, open the door to tragedy. ― J. Bronowski 2 days ago
- What I'm drinking right now? Nui Nui (AKA Pupule) bgreynolds.com/blogs/recipes/… 2 days ago
- Hard to believe, but today at work is so blech I'd actually rather be at home packing. 2 days ago
Tag Archives: silent film
The Crowd  1. Upon entering the room he is immediately accosted by a flapper. 2. Several decades before Psycho, an onscreen toilet. 3. Everyone and everything is making too much noise.
The Artist  1. Over time, his mustache morphs from pencil-thin to brushlike. 2. “BANG!” 3. Malcolm McDowell’s ruddy nose (even in black & white).
Faces of Children  1. The child watches the gravedigger refill his mother’s grave, then passes out. His father carries him home. The gravedigger continues in his work without a pause. 2. Pierrette is like a paleo-Tootie, like Margaret O’Brien … Continue reading
Seven Chances  1. Dressed for the wedding, he takes two train tickets out of his pocket: one for Niagra Falls, one for Reno. 2. He emerges from the water with a turtle hanging from his necktie. 3. The dog … Continue reading
Nosferatu  1. He looks at the photograph. “Is this your wife? What a lovely throat!” 2. They overturn the coffin. It’s filled with earth and rats. One of them bites the sailor. 3. In his final scene, Nosferatu can … Continue reading
The Ten Commandments  1. “They are not laws–they are the LAW.” 2. Not in the remake: Ramses’ son is a bratty boy pharoah with a little whip. 3. He shoots Sally Lung. As she falls to the floor she … Continue reading
The Docks of New York  1. Her reflection in the water. She jumps. Then, ripples appear. 2. “You may be big game aboard ship, but you’re only an animal-cracker here.” 3. It’s the morning after his wedding night. He … Continue reading
The Last Laugh  1. He comes in to get out of the rain for a moment, sits down. His leg is acting up again. The bellboy gives him a quick drink. Meanwhile, the manager shakes his head disapprovingly and … Continue reading
Underworld  1. He extinguishes his cigarette in the champagne bucket. 2. Cow light fixture surrounded by empty bottles of booze. 3. An exodus from the tenement–bathrobes, dressing gowns, pajamas, long underwear.