- Three Dots And A Dash Hosts 'Potions Of The Caribbean'
- Dan Savage HUMPS The Music Box (NSFW)
- Duke Ellington's Only Opera Coming To Chicago
- 10 Great Movies We Watched This Year: Rob Christopher's Picks
- Chicagoist Presents A New Story By Barry Gifford: 'Christmas Is Not For Everyone'
- A Crime Novelist, A Master Chef, A Burlesque Dancer And A Music Critic Walk Into A Bar ...
- Reeling Reborn: 31st Edition Of The LGBT Film Festival Begins Thursday
- Perverted Movie Lovers Rejoice!
- 'Computer Chess' Is A Movie For The Nerd In All Of Us
- Serious 'Mother Of George' Suffers From Too Much Beautiful Filming
- Interview: Leonard Maltin Discusses 45 Years Of His Movie Guide
- The Onion City Film Festival Returns With A Pungent 25th Edition
- Paul McGee's Three Dots And A Dash Is A Genuine Tiki Paradise
- Kickstart 'Safe Word'
- EXCLUSIVE: Barry Gifford Shares 'A Postcard To Nelson Algren'
tag cloud3 things 007 420 Amicus Productions animation Barry Gifford books Buñuel Chicago Chicagoist Chicago Public LIbrary Christmas Christopher Nolan CIFF cocktails Cronenberg David Lynch Disney documentaries dreams editing film festivals film noir food gay George Clooney haiku Halloween Hitchcock humphrey bogart James Bond Jane Fonda jazz jim henson jimmy stewart Joe Dante John Huston Kurosawa libraries lists Marlon Brando Michael Haneke movies muppets music musicals new york October Otto Preminger Paris paul thomas anderson pause of the clock Planet of the Apes poetry queue tips Reeling Film Festival richard linklater Robert Altman Robert Ryan rum sci fi Scorsese silent film Soderbergh star trek stories stories from the grid tiki trash w.c. fields walt disney war Westerns Wim Wenders Woody Allen
- With Joey http://t.co/3oGo2r0ZDJ 1 hour ago
- "The Phantom" Duke Pearson #tikitunes 5 hours ago
- Let's get this luau started (@ Three Dots and a Dash - @threedotschi) 4sq.com/1co8hqR 5 hours ago
- Be here at 5. Trust me. MT @ThreeDotsCHI Tonight we're thrilled to have @BeachBumBerry and & his new book http://t.co/Q7dxpTRCm3 6 hours ago
- Time for a slice of pizza & a big glass of water #pretikipreventativemeasures 7 hours ago
- RT @j1mc: One thing about CD's . . . when you have friends over, no one asks to look at your collection of MP3's. 8 hours ago
- DJ RandomCha (yours truly) = tonight at 5pm @ThreeDotsCHI. Be there or be square. Preview: Potions of the Caribbean spoti.fi/1g5FBCe 12 hours ago
- We just watched the first 2 episodes of THE ASCENT of MAN. Wonderful. Fantastic. dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/12/08/the… 1 day ago
- RT @ALALibrary: Finding ALA Editions title in the #sxsw book store :-) shout outs to Lauren Comito, Christian Zabriskie, and Aliq... http:/… 1 day ago
- 3 things about Godfrey Reggio's VISITORS wp.me/pymbF-1eA 1 day ago
Tag Archives: silent film
The Crowd  1. Upon entering the room he is immediately accosted by a flapper. 2. Several decades before Psycho, an onscreen toilet. 3. Everyone and everything is making too much noise.
The Artist  1. Over time, his mustache morphs from pencil-thin to brushlike. 2. “BANG!” 3. Malcolm McDowell’s ruddy nose (even in black & white).
Faces of Children  1. The child watches the gravedigger refill his mother’s grave, then passes out. His father carries him home. The gravedigger continues in his work without a pause. 2. Pierrette is like a paleo-Tootie, like Margaret O’Brien … Continue reading
Seven Chances  1. Dressed for the wedding, he takes two train tickets out of his pocket: one for Niagra Falls, one for Reno. 2. He emerges from the water with a turtle hanging from his necktie. 3. The dog … Continue reading
Nosferatu  1. He looks at the photograph. “Is this your wife? What a lovely throat!” 2. They overturn the coffin. It’s filled with earth and rats. One of them bites the sailor. 3. In his final scene, Nosferatu can … Continue reading
The Ten Commandments  1. “They are not laws–they are the LAW.” 2. Not in the remake: Ramses’ son is a bratty boy pharoah with a little whip. 3. He shoots Sally Lung. As she falls to the floor she … Continue reading
The Docks of New York  1. Her reflection in the water. She jumps. Then, ripples appear. 2. “You may be big game aboard ship, but you’re only an animal-cracker here.” 3. It’s the morning after his wedding night. He … Continue reading
The Last Laugh  1. He comes in to get out of the rain for a moment, sits down. His leg is acting up again. The bellboy gives him a quick drink. Meanwhile, the manager shakes his head disapprovingly and … Continue reading
Underworld  1. He extinguishes his cigarette in the champagne bucket. 2. Cow light fixture surrounded by empty bottles of booze. 3. An exodus from the tenement–bathrobes, dressing gowns, pajamas, long underwear.