Enter ROY’S WORLD
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.
- 3 things
- Barry Gifford
- Christopher Nolan
- David Lynch
- film festivals
- film noir
- humphrey bogart
- James Bond
- James Mason
- Jane Fonda
- Jason Adasiewicz
- jimmy stewart
- joan crawford
- John Huston
- Kartemquin Films
- lili taylor
- Marlon Brando
- matt dillon
- Michael Haneke
- new york
- Otto Preminger
- paul thomas anderson
- pause of the clock
- queue tips
- ray milland
- Reeling Film Festival
- richard linklater
- Robert Altman
- Robert Ryan
- Roy's World
- sci fi
- silent film
- twin peaks
- willem dafoe
- Woody Allen
- I'm one of many filmmakers whose finished film is just sort of...in suspended animation because of the pandemic. It… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 1 day ago
- 3 things about James Mangold’s FORD V FERRARI randomcha.net/2020/07/14/3-t… 1 day ago
- Thelma Ritter, obviously. Also Phillip Baker Hall and Bill Duke and Cherri Jones. twitter.com/AlishaGrauso/s… 1 day ago
- I appreciate each tiny bit of joy nowadays. twitter.com/bellwak/status… 2 days ago
- 3 things about Justin Pemberton’s CAPITAL IN THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY randomcha.net/2020/07/13/3-t… 2 days ago
- True story: one evening when I was in college, working at Blockbuster Video on North Ave. in Old Town, he came in a… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 2 days ago
- GET OFF YOUR CAN, PEOPLE! twitter.com/BlockClubCHI/s… 2 days ago
- This documentary is now more important than ever. History repeating. twitter.com/CookedTheFilm/… 2 days ago
- 3 things about Gordon Douglas’s LADY IN CEMENT randomcha.net/2020/07/12/3-t… 3 days ago
- RT @DrJamesJBailey: Petitioning to have Susan Sontag’s ‘Notes on Camp’ replaced on all university reading lists with this Lauren Bacall cof… 4 days ago
Monthly Archives: February 2020
“Doc”  1. Born into the line. 2. Crude BBQ brush. 3. “I guess he reminded me of too many things.”
Us  1. Two important coffee tables. 2. Putting on lip gloss. 3. Neck crunch.
That’s right, just seven days until the Glasgow Film Festival hosts the very first screening of Roy’s World: Barry Gifford’s Chicago! I’ll be there in person along with producer Michael Glover Smith for both shows, February 28 and 29. To … Continue reading
Vitalina Varela  1. Barefoot on the tarmac. 2. The sound of men on the roof. 3. Windowbars frame his face as a sun.
In Roy’s World, I used a whole lot of images from various collections of the Chicago Film Archives. So when CFA asked me to be one of 2020’s “remixers” I was delighted to accept! I’m already digging into some materials … Continue reading
Rope  1. Namedropping James Mason, Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman. 2. Dropping the rope into the kitchen drawer. 3. “Cat and mouse, cat and mouse, who’s the cat and who’s the mouse!” 3 other things.
Sisters  1. The African Club. A black waiter wearing a tuxedo jacket but no shirt. 2. Smashed cake. 3. A sofa in Quebec.
Creepshow  1. “I can hold my breath for a long, long time!” Leslie Nielsen freeze frame. 2. She takes along her spiked milk for the drive. 3. Violin gesture.
Shadow of a Doubt (1943) 1. She includes Veronica Lake in her prayers. 2. “Do you always have to talk about killing people?” “We’re not talking about killing people. Herb’s talking about killing me, and I’m talking about killing him.” “It’s … Continue reading
The Player  1. “That pipsqueak?” 2. “Rumors are always true, you know that.” 3. “Who is this person?” 3 other things.