This was tonight’s dinner. I adapted it from a recipe I found. The end result was delicious. It took all of 15 minutes to assemble.
SLOW COOKED PORK TENDERLOIN CARNITAS
½ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1 bottle of beer
juice of half a lime
1 large white onion, peeled and roughly chopped
1 tbsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
2 tsp. cumin
½ tbsp. crushed red pepper
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. crushed garlic
2 lb. pork tenderloin
2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
1 can (16 oz.) black beans
shredded Mexican cheese
chopped baby spinach or other greens
1. Add the orange juice, beer, lime juice, and onion to a slow cooker.
2. Combine the spices in a small bowl and mash together until combined. Using your fingers, rub the spice mixture all over the tenderloin, then place the tenderloin in the slow cooker.
3. Scatter the peppers on top of everything and put the lid on.
4. Put the slow cooker on low and cook for about 7 hours.
5. Using two forks, shred the tenderloin thoroughly and stir everything together. Put the lid back on the slow cooker and switch the setting to warm.
6. In a small saucepan, heat the black beans on the stove.
7. Place some black beans, carnitas, cheese, and greens in the center of a tortilla. Fold over and enjoy.